Question
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/11

DSM5

What do you think about the changes they want to make to the DSM?

Actually, I haven't seen these proposals recently. Its a very long process to generate a DSN. I was a bit involved with DSM 3 and 4, and knew Bob Spitzer who had a lot to do with those. But I"m not sure he's particularly involved in DSM5
For those who wonder what we're taling about, DSM is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatrict Association ( you can understand why we prefer to call it the DSM !) which is the majopr internationally recognized and used system for making reliable psych diagnoses, with specific criteria, etc., for doing so. Currently it's the 4th edition being used, but a 5th edition is in preparation.
Its important that your shrink use the system, as otherwise any diagnosis you get from one doc might be totally different from that from another doc, and the treatment would be different, too. Reliability is useful

1