Question
Posted by: Janks | 2012/05/09

Dry skin or not

I really really need your help with this. I am a 20year old with quite a healthy lifestyle, I don''t eat junk food often, I exercise a few times a week and I drink 8 glasses of water a day..That is just some background info..I have folliculitis on my legs. It is not severe. I get red pimples on my legs after I shaved. And it gets worse on my thighs if my legs chafe/rubs against something..Especially on my thighs, the back of my thighs. In the summer time, the folliculitis is obviously worse because I shave more often. From you I just want to know what else can I do, except for washing with anti-bacterial soap and not shaving too often and using clean towels and not wearing tight clothes like jeans. Because this is now getting to a point where i am giving up. I don''t really have money for a dermatologist. And I hear that if they prescribe you anti-biotics then it''ll go away but it comes back eventually. So I don''t want to waste my money on something like anti-biotics, because it also weakens your system. I have tried mylocort on my legs, I don''t know if the hydro cortisone in that will work for the pimples? I have tried fissan bum cream after shaving (it helped a bit) . I drink VitA supplements (cod liver oil) and have also taken zinplex for quite a while. I only stopped with that a month ago. I have taken SEPTOGARD(60 tablets)because it is a natural anti-biotic..and I have tried hydrogen peroxide (volume 10) on my legs. That only helped a bit. I don''t know what else do to. I tried almost everything. And now my skin is dry also, on my legs, so I am using camphor cream on it after every shower/bath. Could the dry skin be because of soaps and could dry skin have any effect on folliculitis. I have been on purbac for my acne(on my face) for a few months. I stopped with that last year because it didn''t work, and also I have been on Tetralysal for a few months and that didn''t seem to work. I am off of the acne medication for about 4 months now. Could that have caused the folliculitis? Could it be because of anything els? Like my diet? should I avoid milk or white carbohydrates or sugar? I have been allergic to milk and sugar when I was in preschool. Could I still be or if this not possible?? I have been on medication for it, when I was little. So I know this is a long post, but please I am begging you to give me some good advice>  i am desperate. What type of folliculitis do you think this is(i get it from shaving and if my legs chafe against something) and what would you tell me to do and to NOT do at all. What will make it worse, what will make it better?? I am up to anything. Except going to a dermatologist. What should I avoid, any creams or ointments that I can/shouldn''t use on my legs?? please just help me. Thanks so much.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Janke

I know you said that you do not wish to see a doctor, but ultimately this may be your best starting point forward.

You are already doing a lot to improve the problem - some persons in your situation has also suggested moisturising (and washing) with unscented lotions - i.e. no artificial fragrances. One option would be to mix aloe vera gel, rosewater and a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle and to use this as a form of moisturiser. Also avoid pants and stockings if you haven't shaved - these may cause the hair to snap and curl in causing ingrown hair. Also, applying a cream containing Benzoyl Peroxide (often used for acne) can be applied to infected/inflamed follicles as antibacterial.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/05/10

Hi Janke

Reply to pharmacist