Posted by: Stephan | 2009-09-12

Dry skin &  training

Hi, I struggle with dry skin. Im a runner and run 40-60km a week. I have cholesterol. I dont use skin cream too often...only when my skin becomes to itchy.
Can I eat better to improve my skin dryness but still give enough enrgy to run and prevent my cholesterol from going higher?
Hope to hear from you.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Stephen

Dry skin is often an indication that your intake of good fats (omega 3 & 6) is too low. Fats should make out 20% of your daily calorie intake – which will certainly address your cholesterol problem, unless it is familial cholesterol. Of this 20% only 1/3rd should come from saturated fats (animal origin – butter, cheese, meats, milk etc) and the rest from good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, seeds & nuts) – please adjust your diet likewise and you will see the benefits within 2-3 months. Also take 2 x 1000mg omega 3 capsules at night. Good fats in fact help with lowering cholesterol and they act like fat burners so don’t be worried that they will have a detrimental effect on your energy – in fact it will boost your energy.

Good luck and take care!