Question
Posted by: Peter | 2010/08/18

Drug-induced pain

Dr. I do not think you have ever heard of this condition. MY neck is stiff and sore and my eye feel like it is being pulled down with extreme pain behind the eye.Like someone is sctratching behind the eye. No one knows what it is. I will have to go cold turkey off my medication

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Peter,

The nerves from the neck muscles and the nerves from the eye area end in the same part of the brain, so a neck muscle problem can give you referred pain to the eye. As I don’t know what medication you are on, I can’t comment on your idea of going off it. The only way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of what is causing it. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/08/19

Dear Peter,

Reply to Headache expert