Posted by: debbie | 2009-06-29

drug adiction

hi there

i' m writing to you on behalf of my brother. I recently found out that he has been taking Kath quite regulalry. Please can you tell me what are the dangers of Kath if he is taking quite a bit?

I recently enquired about rehab but its quite expensive. What can we do to help him at home? i read up on how drug abuse can be treated using natural methods. would joining the gym help? what sort of vitamins &  in what doses do i need to be giving him to replenish his body? will green tea help?

Expert ImageArchive

Cat (methcathinone) is a synthetic stimulant which is highly dependency forming - Khat it the natural plant (grows a lot in Ethiopia) - it is less potent that the synthetic Cat - but is also dependency forming.

I would suggest approaching a social worker who has assess your family member and compile a report for subsidised treatment at a private facility (some facilities have subsidy options or trust funds for this)- or to take out a court order - a social worker needs to do this (Act 20 of 1992 - Prevention and Treatment of Drug Dependency Act) for either voluntary or involuntary admission under the Act to a state rehabilitation centre (the normal treatment period in a state facility is 3 months - but the person still resides under the Act for 2 years after the leave the centre - which a social worker needs to monitor). You can also contact you nearest SANCA branch for guidance on the above-mentioned.