Question
Posted by: abby | 2012/02/02

drowsy

Lately I suffer from drowsiness a lot, especially after meals. I always make sure to have both protein and carbs in my meals. I do not feel energetic straight after the meal and then get drowsy. The drowsiness starts probably half an hour after the meal and continues for several hours. It is affecting my work. Please help.

Dear Abby
If you continue to feel drowsy after meals to the extent that it is interfering with your work, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup and ask the dr to test for insulin resistance or hypoglycaemic, and narcolepsy. If you do have a problem with blood insulin or glucose levels, then it is essential that you consult a registered dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will help you with a low-fat, low-GI diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. But first have the checkup so that we can obtain a diagnosis.

1

Dear Abby