Posted by: HC | 2009-07-22

Dropping iron and Ferriitin levels

I have had two ampules Venofer iron treatment about 6 weeks ago. Before the treatment my iron level was 8.5 and Ferritin 34, after the Venofer my iron has dropped to 6 and Ferritin to 18. What could be the cause?

Dear HC
Iron in the body is stored in different places:
Serum iron - the amount of iron in your blood. The level of iron in your blood may be normal even if the total amount of iron in your body is low. For this reason, other iron tests also are done.
Serum ferritin - the protein that helps store iron in your body. A measure of this protein helps your doctor find out how much of your body's stored iron has been used up. Low Ferritin is an indication of low iron
Transferrin level, or total iron-binding capacity - Transferrin is a protein that carries iron in your blood. Total iron-binding capacity measures how much of the transferrin in your blood isn't carrying iron. If you have iron-deficiency anemia, you'll have a high level of transferrin that has no iron.

If an iron-deficient patient is treated with iron, the absorbed iron is initially used to make hemoglobin. No significant amount of iron would be stored until the hemoglobin returns to its normal level for that patient. S. ferritin, which is proportional to the body's store of iron, may remain low for several weeks or months, depending on the daily doses of iron used.