Question
Posted by: Derick | 2010-08-23

Drixine nasal spray

I''ve been using drixine for 3 years, permanently. i know it''s damaging my nasal passages. i''ve tried not using it but my nose gets so blocked without it that i can''t breathe at all through my nose. what can i do to get off the drixine?

Expert ImagePharmacist

"Over the counter decongestant nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline, xylometazoline, phenylepherine etc. (topical vacoconstrictors) temporarily reduce the size of the nasal turbinates, open the nasal passages and provide relief from nasal congestion etc. However when these are used for more than 3 consecutive days they cause rebound congestion. Rebound congestion is the result of abnormal hypertrophy (enlargement) and swelling of the nasal membranes. This blocks the nasal passages causing the nasal congestion and associated symptoms. This rebound congestion is temporarily relieved by using the offending nasal spray. Therefore a vicious cycle of dependency ensues."

One way to stop using it, is gradual weaning - You can gradually wean yourself off of the offending nasal spray by diluting the nasal spray with saline solution. This should be done gradually. Otherwise, you can slowly start to replace the drixine with EUPHORBIUM, a natural decongestant spray and STERIMAR, a saline solution.

3
Posted by: Sandra | 2014-01-28

I had the same problem and I started using the Sterimar nasal spray. My doctor recommended it as it is a natural sea water solution that will also help to reduce inflammation and you can use it as often as you like. The Sterimar also eliminated my severe post nasal drip and I have never felt more healthy in my life. I can't even remember the last time I got the flu thanks to Sterimar keeping my sinuses clear. I would gladly recommend this to mothers as well since they can use it from the first day of birth. It helped me with both my children especially when it was time to breastfeed and when they had to sleep.

Reply to Sandra | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Tania | 2014-09-24

I agree. Sterimar has saved myself from Antibiotics many a time. Yeah for Sterimar!!!

Posted by: pharmacist | 2010-08-25

Reply to pharmacist