Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/10/09

Driving

Guys is it possble to learn to drive in 3weeks?
I have some sort of fear of driving and have been putting it off, so now my apntmnt is in 4weeks time, is it possible?
I think to myself, if everyone else can do it then so can I!
but when I get infront of the wheel I just get so nervous that I make it the last and just totally hate the thought of driving!
but I want to, I need to! I just cant get myslef to do it!
When I try I' m hopeless! I can do most anything else though but this is a bitter obstacle for me, now I' ve also got a deadline.

As a non-driver, I'll leave this question to other readers ! A couple of sessions of CBT addressing the fear of driving, if that fear is strong enough to be interfering, might help.

5
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/10/09

Thanks for the advice Jane! I will def. do the Sun.morning thing too.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Jane | 2009/10/09

Its going to be tough, it took me about 6 months, as oyu need to get comfortable with the road. Get a driving instructor, a woman who you feel comfortable with. She might be able to swap you around, and get a test in say 2-3 months, so you have enough time.
Then book 10 lessons with the instructor, and pay upfront, if you can afford. That way you wont be tempted to cancel them. Start by driving to the shops, or try an industrial area on a Sunday morning, guaranteed no cars around. I learnt to drive in a Tazz, one of th easiest cars to drive. I also had a massive fear of driving, and I still dont enjoy driving in areas I dont know well. Good luck, it is possible, but then you better practise every day - you still need to learn K53.

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Jane | 2009/10/09

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/10/09

Thanx Skye! i think thats exactly what I am going to do!

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: SKye | 2009/10/09

It is possible, I did it. I procrastinated until my learners expired so when I did my learners again I booked immediately for my driveres wich was 5 weeks after that. I got a driving instructor and did about 14 lessons in 4 weeks and I passed first time. You just have to get a good instructor and do a few lessons a week and you will get it.

Reply to SKye