Posted by: Shelby | 2010-03-26

Drinking whilst lying down

Hi Doctor,

I have read that babies should be fed their bottles whilst at a 45 degree angle. For how long do you think this should go on? I find it easy to put my 9 month old to sleep, whilst he is drinking his bottle. I put him on two cushions, with his bottle, but he sometimes slips down and drinks in a flat position. I am worried that the milk formula will go down his Eustachian tube and give him an ear infection.

Thank you for your time.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Shelby

It is possible that milk may affect the eustachian tube if it gets to the tube. At this age babies are better at controlling the bottle, so the chance of milk in the tube becomes less. Damage to the teeth become a bigger problem at this age.
It is best to check on the drinking, and rather remove the bottle as soon as he is finished.