Question
Posted by: Emma | 2009/02/24

Drinking water

Hi Doc,

I am concerned about drinking tap water these days. I drink about 2 lt of water a day. I cannot afford to buy bottled water. I know boiling water is best, but boiled water just tastes awful. Any suggestions on how I can make drinking water safe and healthy?

Thank you.

Dear Emma
I must admit that I too am rather worried about our tap water nowadays although I do think that the quality of our water in the big cities is still of a reasonable quality. The solution is to boil and then cool your drinking water as this kills harmful bacteria. As regards the taste, you can add a small quantity of fruit juice or dilute powdered drinks like Game or even artificial cold drink powders to your water to make it taste better. Overdilute the fruit juice or powdered drinks so that you don't add too much energy to your water. Also keep in mind that you do not need to drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day which includes all the liquids you consume (cold drinks, fruit juice, milk, tea, coffee, beer, etc), not just the water.

5
Posted by: ANON | 2009/02/24

Dear Amo
In general I think that tap water in our larger cities and towns is still safe. I am not personally worried about us developing kidney problems, I am worried about potential microbiological contamination of our water supplies because many of the water purification plants are either so old that they are falling apart or they don' t have technical staff to run them, esp in the smaller towns. If you live in a smaller town I would recommend that you just boil water before using it. This will eradicate the microorganisms. I think the story about the kidney problems is such a sales gimmick.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: Emma | 2009/02/24

Thanks guys for your advice. I have seen these water filters, but they all look so involved that I just don' t what is best to buy. And as we all know shop assistance are clueless most of the time about these things......

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Snippie | 2009/02/24

PS: Boiled water is often even worse than tap water because the chemicals they put in tap water to make it drinkable makes the metal dissolve in the water and all the sh!t in the water ends up in your kidneys or liver - your body becomes the filter and all that stuff builds up in your organs! Yuck!

Reply to Snippie
Posted by: Snippie | 2009/02/24

The best way to make any water safe is to purify it with a process called reverse osmosis. Just filtering it still leaves a lot of bacteria, dissolved solids, hormones, metals etc. You get home systems with these kinds of purifiers.

Most of them have 4 different filters as well as a reverse osmosis membrane, that purifies the water. Althought some of them can be quite expensive, depending on where you buy it from, I regard it as one of the best investments you can make and definitely worth it.

Shop around and try your best to save up and install one in your home. Just make sure you buy a quality product. It need not be the most expesive one. You can get excellent systems for good prices, but you have to shop around and investigate all the options before making a descision.

Reply to Snippie
Posted by: nanino | 2009/02/24

buy a water filter

Reply to nanino