Posted by: Mandy | 2013-01-18

Drinking problem

I just want to know what the definition is of a drinking problem is. When does someone have a drinking problem?

Many people try to manipulate definitions of Alcoholism or Problem Drinking, so as to make sure it excludes whatever they themselves, personally, do.
There are formal and widely used definitions of Alcpoholism which a google search will find you. Problem Drinking is less closely defined, but not hard to understand.
Basially, if your drinking causes significant problems for you and / or others, that's problem drinking - when you feel you can't do things ( socialize, eg ) without a drink ; when you feel you NEED a drink early in the day ; when your drinking interferes with your work, with your personal life and relationships, when it makes you forget or neglect your duties to yourself and others - its a problem. And as drinking is so expensive both in terms of the alcohol and the consequences and precautions, and in the damage to your body and health, getting help and treatment for problem drinking is always cost-effective, too.

Posted by: Mandy | 2013-01-19

Thank you so much! I

Reply to Mandy
Posted by: Kat | 2013-01-18

i think as soon as you start neglating your duties because of it, or can not function with alcohol then you are an alcoholic.

Reply to Kat
Posted by: Phil | 2013-01-18

You know what  if you look at criminology they have many examples of alcoholics. For example  if you need a drink to be social. Or if you can''t have a braai without consuming alcohol.

My dad was an alcoholic  and my definition is as follows. When you drink before going to work  and sometimes during work. When you drink  and start losing you ballance and really become embarasing. When you drink  and you become something that you regret the next day when you are sober.

I personally drink at socials  can''t see how I could have a braai without a beer. I love having a glass of wine or a beer after work during the week. I love to relax with beers and wine over weekends. My rules are to never get drunk in front of my kids  or to ever make them be ashamed of me. Or get agresive in front of them when I drink. I also apply these rules to anyone else that want''s to socialise in our house.

So  according to the studies in Criminology I am an alcholoic  and seems like all my friends are to.
Personally  I don''t believe it is a problem as long as you behave and act responsibly. And I''m relatively successfull in work  life and as a dad.

Hope my view helps a little bit.

Reply to Phil