Question
Posted by: Livvy | 2009/11/10

Drinking problem

My concern is that my husband is drinking 2-3 glasses of wine/beer every night and then before he goes to bed he will have a whiskey or port. On numerous occasions he will immediately pour himself somehting to drink when he gets home after work. I'  m worried because his dad was an alcoholic. When I confront him about the drinking, he will tell me that he is tired and not in the mood to discuss it. Or he will tell me he knows that he is drinking too much and promise that he will drink less. It will go well for a few days, and then back to normal. Is this the first signs of an addiction or am I being a drama queen?

If his dad was an alcoholic h is under a somewhat greater risk of developing alcoholism or similar substance abuse problems than the rest of us. YOu are not being a drama queen. All alcoholics or problem drinkers deny that there is a problem, and promise to change withou keeping that promise. If he feels he needs to drink this much ( already enough to be concerned about, though not as excessive as it might become ) for some reason - tiredness, stress at work, whatever, he should see a shrink / counsellor to deal directly with those problems, so as not to feel he NEEDS the alcohol.

1