Posted by: worried | 2009-04-23

drinking problem

I have a drinking problem. I don' t drink all the time and I don' t fell the need to. I participate in sport and am always in top form for work but I binge drink on some weekends. The problem is that I seem to associate relaxing with drinking. I am worried because when I do this I change. I become arrogant and almost manic. I seem to never be able to get enough and I behave dangerously. I want to stop this. I don' t know how though. What can I do besides going to AA? What alternatives are there? I love my life and have everything to live for. I don' t want to harm myself or anybody else.

Binge drinking is one of seveeral patterns of excessive and problem drinking, and is no better for your healh than other patterns. With the sort of reactions to drink which you describe, it could become more than unhealthy, and potentially dangerous. AA could be a good idea, though some people just don't manage to relate to its sructure and methods. See a good shrink for advice, as there are also treatments like acamprosate which, combined with proper counsellingm, can make it easier to avoid binges.