Posted by: Tania Mueller | 2009-07-10

drinking !!!

Is a person who drinks a bottle of wine every night AND alone a alcoholic? I' m married to this person and worried and confrontation gets me nowhere.

Not necessarily. But one bottle of wine per day is an excessive intake of alcohol. Although there is some evidence that a SMALL regular intake of wine may be healthy ( that's be one or two glasses at most ) larger amounts are bad for the brain, the liver, and other aspects of good health ; and it is a depressant drug, and may enhance the risk of Depression. Now, if the amount he drinks has remained constant for a long time, if the amount he needs to drink to produce whatever result he is looking for, has not increased, the situation is stable, and less like a typical alcoholic. As for drinking alone, though that is often part of alcoholism, this is partly to hide the amount one is drinking. You appear to know how much he drinks. How would he feel if you asked to join him, to have a glass a night, maybe two in the winter ?

Posted by: tania | 2009-07-20

yes. Thank you for the answer. He drinks like that for a very long time now. It did not increase over the years,actually it went down. it bothers me,because i do not drink and i do not like the way he becomes after drinking that much. He seems not to care, will get into arguments and cannot remember anything afterwards. It is to such an extent what i cannot not stay married anymore and it became the one aspect in our lives that i cannot take any more.I try to make things nice at home and take stress away from him,but most of the times it will backfire on me. If everything is not perfect,well then i' m in the doghouse. It is very stressfull to live like this and you know that nothing that you are doing is good enough. i really care for him and want to help him so much and i do not know what to do some days.

Reply to tania