Question
Posted by: Greg | 2009/05/26

drink

Are you alloed to drink if you are on lithium?

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist...Hi Greg, as a psychologist I would not be able to tell you the effects of alcohol and Lithium. However, I would like to mention that alcohol and drugs can aggravate or even cause mood disorders and/or induce psychosis.

Many individuals who have bipolar disorder get addicted to substances as they sometimes provide a relief of symptoms in the beginning, however, they have severe effects on mood causing severe depression or mania where judgement is impaired. If you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder it would be advisable to try stay away from alcohol and drugs.