Question
Posted by: Tshi | 2012/08/14

Dress Code

I have just joined a tech company in a senior position. The dress code is very relaxed understandably so as this is the industry norm.
I normally dress in a suit and tie but had to get rid of the tie as I feel this will make me stick out like a sore thumb. I have however kept the suit and formal shirt. Am I shooting myself in the foot and allienating myself from the staff and employer by taking this semi-formal approach? I really crinch at the thought of jeans and sneakers at the office but wouldn''t want to stall my career acceleration due to the way I dress.

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi Tshi, I think your gut feel is correct and that the more formal approach is the better one, especially in a more senior position. Not only does it make you feel sharper, but if you are in a client-facing role it makes them feel more valued. I expect that you will see more people gravitate towards you as they start to get to know you.
There is a point though where you will find that you cross swords with the company culture, which is probably wearing a tie. Also, sometimes you can accommodate them e.g. on Fridays by wearing casual clothes, or a bafana-bafana or springboks jersey, indicating that you are in touch with the world. Lastly, your dress code could be the reason why you will get other organisations asking you to come and work for them.

2
Posted by: Tshi | 2012/09/04

Thanks a mil!

Reply to Tshi
Posted by: Executive Coach | 2012/08/20

Reply to Executive Coach