Posted by: Liesl | 2009-06-29

Dream interpretation

Hi Doc,

I had a terribly upsetting dream last night and was wondering if you could help me with an interpretation?

I was dreaming that I was busy dismembering people with a very sharp samurai sword... all of these bodyparts were lying on the floor. I saw a torso of a man with his head still attached and he was still allive! So I took out a pair of rose pruning clippers and cut the guy' s throat out so that he could die.

Does this mean I am disturbed? (have been going through a stressful time recently!). Your advice would mean the world.

Dream interpretation is largely a quack art, feeding our natural assumption that such vivid things must have a special meaning. But the facts are these. The vast majority of dreams we have, we never remember. Only some of those that occur just before we wake, get remembered at all ; and we may selectively remember bad dreams, because they arouse and wake us. Most dreams are essentiall random in content, like the patterns of a computer's defrag program. They may contain fragments of memory, fantasy, and echoes of things that have been worrying us or which we've seen on TV or in movies.
SO, though the dream you describe would obviously be disturbing to anyone, it does not mean that you have amn inner serial killer about to break loose. It probably does reflect your recent stress, and perhaps an element of having been feeling helpless and angry in the setting of such stress.

Posted by: 007Boer | 2009-06-29

Mind you, I usually dream that I am fighting bulls with my bare hands or that I am on the front lines in a hectic gun battle with no bullets, forcing me to use a knife or sword.

Reply to 007Boer
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-06-29

Shuks! Im feel totally sick now after reading that.(throwing up)

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: 007Boer | 2009-06-29

This dream is normal as far as I am concerned because I also have these deranged dreams when I have a lot of stress. Don' t worry too much about it, it will go away when the stress does.

Reply to 007Boer
Posted by: Moron | 2009-06-29

Im no expert but i take my dreams very seriously i dont think you are disturbed i just think its your subconcious trying to process feelings and emotions that you might be suppressing i mean i dream almost every night that im going to kill my ex husbands girlfrind . (ahh if only hee hee hee), but seriously i wouldnt be concerned to an extent that you are disturbed, stress does play a big role maybe start excersising or doing some form of relaxation.

Hope my post helped or at least let you smile!!!.

Reply to Moron