Posted by: haventaclue | 2009-01-05

dream dead in sleep

I am worrying about my mom. She has been feeling sick for a while, mainly pains but the doc cant find anything wrong. Said fibromyalgia. She is 60 and recenlty she had a dream that she died after experiencing a jolt, (it was early in the morning) and then she gasped awake and couldnt breathe properly for a while. Any ideas??? Thank you!

Dear Haventaclue
One gets a type of sleeping disorder called sleep jerks or hypnic jerks, which can be one of the signs of fibromyalgia. It can be triggered by too little or too light sleep. Did she see a physician to exclude auto-immune inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis?

Posted by: haventaclue | 2009-01-06

Thank you Dr. Yes, she has. She has been for many tests. I just dont understand how something can be so debilitating and yet there is nothing much that can be done really and no hard scientific facts to go on.
She is constantly in pain and is having trouble walking. Most days she has to have a sleep. She has always been a very active, high energy type of person.
She is depressed and breathes badly when she sleeps, so I have been feeling afraid.

Reply to haventaclue