Posted by: Nilon | 2011-12-19

Dreading a relapse

Hi Doc,

Just hv a qstn about Roaccutane - it ''cures'' acne by shutting down production of oil if I understand correctly. But surely this means as soon as u finish yr course, your acne is back? The glands cannot stay shut down in the absence of Roaccutane - surely they simply start generating excess sebum once the drug is out of the system, putting you back at square one? Typically once any medicine is out of your system, the symptoms you took it for just return. Is there any point taking this medicine? (everything else has failed). I don''t think I could deal with seeing my skin really clear - only to relapse after I take the last pill. Those who stayed clear after coming off Roaccutane, what kept them clear even when the last trace of the drug was out of their system?

Roaccutane is not such a simple drug as you make it out to be. It is very successful in treating cystic acne and after the completion of a six month course, 90% of people recover fully, without the acne returning. IPL treatment (Intense Pulse Light treatment) can be used after treatment for the scarring and hyperpigmentation.