Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2011/04/05

Drain Bamage

Hi CS,

I have two small children and sleep between 3 to 5 hours a night. This has been going on for 5 years. I feel like a zombie, I hallucinate flying shadows, I am sensitive to bright light, nauseous, grumpy and forgetful. Please tell me that I have not lost brain cells and this could be lack of serotonin due to lack of sleep. Is there anyway to replenish the serotonin without sleeping?

You don't mention how small, but are the kids sleeping normally, or is it them who are keeping you awake ( if so, that needs to be attended to via the kids ). Or do you, irrespective of the kids, have insomnia ? I don't think you have lost any brain cells ( remember, you keep the spares in that packet on the book-case ? ) but you are describing symptoms which CAN be related to sleep lack, but also to other causes. You need a good assessment by a brilliant GP or maybe psychiatrist, to clarify the likely causes. Many antidepressants ( and of course depression can also explain serious sleeping problems, even if a low mood isnt very obvious ) usefully improve available serotonin and some other potentially relevant chemicals.
Why do you want a fix "without sleeping" ? It sounds as though you have decided it is inevitable that you cannot sleep. If this has been "going on for 5 years, the kids presumably would be at least 5 years old, and should be sleeping normal hours per night maybe a child shrink should consider why they are not doing so, if this is the root problem.

3
Posted by: BakerStreet | 2011/04/05

Research sleep solutions, I have known some serious people with serious problems who have been able to overcome insomnia with simple natural solutions.

Research! You have the internet if you can post here, try google. Or go to a pharmist and ask for over the counter NATURAL sleep help. I here 5 htp and hops work really well, or even flack seed oil pills or actual melatonin pills they work great :)

Reply to BakerStreet
Posted by: Truth | 2011/04/05

Are u the same Nikki from posting 899?

Reply to Truth