Question
Posted by: Gail | 2012/09/12

Dr Harry Seftel SABC# Talk this past week.

63 y.o. female with High cholesterol (never higher than 8.5) genetic paternal
Diabetes Type 2 genetic maternal never higher than 14 on only one occasion
Underactive Thyroid inherited paternal
Depressive endogenous and on lifelong meds.
Have survived C1 fracture and am mobile miraculously.

Mother is 90 Father died aged 87 All the above are medicated but I suffer from all kinds of aches and pains which I attribute to after effect of C1 fracture. Dr Seftel mentioned HBAC (letter may be wrongly arranged). What is this and why is it important? My blood pressure is on the low side most of the time and I lead a quiet life as my children live abroad and I have been widowed 14 years.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Gail

HbA1c stands for glycosylated haemoglobin, a blood test which is a useful measure of diabetic control. The level of HbA1c reflects average blood sugar level over the previous three months, so from the HbA1c result one can calculate the average blood glucose over that period of timet. The test is easy to do and can be repeated every few months to keep track of your diabetic control.

Low blood pressure most of the time is a good thing to have, particularly as you are diabetic.
I hope this answers your question!

Best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/20

Dear Gail

I hope this answers your question!

Best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist