Posted by: Tanya | 2009-02-24

Dr Bets?

Hi thank u so much for your helpful response to my query on hirsutism - I do feel I need a second opinion on why I am losing hair on my head and growing it furiously on my body.

I live in Sandton in jhb - is there an endocrinologiust anywhere around me? That said I am retrenched at the moment, is there any specialist located in a govt hosp I could visit? I am very low on funds at the mo and had to discontinue my med aid late last year.

I' d be more than happy to be a part of any medical study on this disorder, do you know of any?

thank you so much

Dear Tanya
I don't know of any clinical trials ongoing in this condition at the moment. If you want to go to Wits medical school endocrinology department, you need to go to the Joh Gen outpatients department and ask one of the doctors there to refer you to the endocrinology clinic. This may be the most economic option for you as these tests can be expensive and you will get proper evaluation even though it may be time consuming.
The professor there is
Prof Derick Raal
The Donald Gordon Med Centre, 21 Eton Road, Parktown, 2193
011 356 6600

Posted by: Lindi | 2009-02-24

Hi Tanya,

I have the same problem.

I missed your previos post. What is the reason for the rapid growth of body hair but hair loss on the head?

Would appreciate any info.

Reply to Lindi