Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/12/16

Hello Dr Bets, I hope you are still here :-) After reading your post, I phoned my gynie and told him about the fever. He said I should take panado to break the fever. It did not really help. I saw him on Saturday and it was amazing to see my babies heart rate (123bpm). The doctor did not do any further tests (no bloods or urine - I was bit surprised). I was also bit surprised that he was not concerned about the fever either. I typed out my history (as short as I could, but with the most important things in it). He scaned through it in about 5 seconds and said that I can stop the pregnavit if I like and I can stop the calcium supplements cause it can make me nauseous (not that I am nauseous)... I thought it was a bit strange, but FORTUNATLY ignored his advice. The Monday I saw my doctor treating me for pseudohypoparathyroidism. It was such a relieve to have a doctor that really takes care with his patients. He send me for bloods even before I saw him. The bloods showed that I have a bad infection (very high white blood count ) and my glands were also swollen. He also picked up that I have a bad fever. He explained (like you) the importance of treating it, the risk of miscarrage if left untreated and also that the antibiotic he is giving me is 100% save... I felt relieved. I have been sick for a week (still am on antibiotic). He also explained that due to pregnancy my body has bigger demand on calcium. My calcium is 2,16 and I am actually on the verge of going into tetany again because of low calcium. He changed my calcium to one with magnesium and vit D in and increased the dose (I would have gone into tetany and possibly miscarriage if I followed my gynies advice!!). Explained the risks of my pregnancy up to 12 weeks - very high risk because of risk of tetany for me. Also said I must lie down when I get spasms. My salt is also very low and he said I must eat alot more salt (I was actually concerned of overdoing it cause I am craving it all the time). Said I must drink lot of water. BP is good (110/70). Said that he will monitor my heart through the pregnancy and refer me to my cardiologist if he sees any reason for that (so far my heart is doing great, still have a click, but no leak). I am so happy that I have this doctor and that he takes so much care in my pregnancy. He is seeing me after my next gynie apointment and already gave me the form for the bloods I must get tested in January. I am surprised that my gynie does not seem to care... I also told him about the spams and he just said, dont worry about it... I am just hoping he will know how to deliver the baby - he seems to have a lot of experience and his patients seems to like him... The specialist was happy when he heard who my gynie is, cause he is at the same hospital (that was actually how I chose him, I wanted a doctor at that hospital, because of my specialist being there as well as my cardiologist). He (specialist) said that he will take care of me in hospital when I come in for the delivery. I am very relieved about it. A doctor that actually understands my history and there to help me and give me and the baby the best chance. Do you think I need to change my gynie, or do you think it will be fine considering that my specialist will basically give me all the care and the gynie will just be there for the delivery? I feel I am in the best hands with my specialist, but I am unsure about the gynie... the gynie did however immediately spot the HR on the US, so I am sure he knows everything in his field very well?? Do you have any advice for me on this situation? Thanks very much Dr!!!

Dear Ruby
Ask your doctor to discuss your specific case in detail with the gyne - I just think that he needs to work with your doctor as one tends to get "rusty" in other areas of medicine if you have been working in only one area for a while. Your gyne is probably a very good gyne but probably does not know as much as he should about tetany and pseudohypoparathyroidism (as it is a rare disease too). I think you are very wise to see your endocrinologist regularly during your pregancy and it will be very good if he can look after you when you come in for the delivery too. Good luck!