Question
Posted by: Annie | 2011-10-26

Downs Syndrome Testing

Good Day

I am 8 weeks pregnant with my second child. (7 years gap) I am 31 now and had my first when I was 24.
I had the Downs test done the first time and it was very low risk and my daughter was fine and no Downs.
Now the doc is asking me if i want to test again. I am not sure if i should.
Can you tell me perhaps if there is any risk seeing as though my first child is fine and the second child has the same father.

Annie

There is always a risk. The test just gives you an idea of how big the risk is and you can then decide if it is necessary for an amniocentesis.

5
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-10-31

Posted by: Annie | 2011-10-27

Thanks for the input.
@ meme...I know that its the normal thing to ask that question and to be very honest, if i had all test done and knew for 100% certain that my child was going to have Downs, I would not keep him/her.
I know this is a very debatable answer and some might think that i am the worst person to walk this planet but that is my choice not to have a child that wont be able to lead a normal life of their own.
So therefore, i am definitely wanting to do the tests.
I have an appointment at about 12 weeks so i will discuss all options with my gynae then.
Thank you again for your valuable replies.

Annie

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Zama | 2011-10-26

Hi Annie

First do the Neuchal Translucency test and see what comes up. This is just a scan that checks the thickness of the back of baby''s neck at about 12/13 weeks. If all is clear there. There should be no need to do the additional test. MEME has a valid point. I have also heard of stories where these tests have not been correct and women have been stressed only to be told later that baby is fine. I know one such lady.

Think about it. All the best.

Reply to Zama
Posted by: MEME | 2011-10-26

well perhaps ask yourself this. if your baby did have downs would you keep it?? if you would then i see no need in testing!

Reply to MEME
Posted by: Annie | 2011-10-26

Also, I only had a Blood Test the first time around. Could you tell me exactly what tests are done now and if they differ as I have been told the test could cost me R1200-R1700 and this by far more expensive than the Blood Test i had 7 years ago.
So not sure if there is more to the test that the Doc mentioned and i didnt actually ask her to explain the test to me.

Reply to Annie