advertisement
Question
Posted by: Annie | 2011-10-26

Downs Syndrome Testing

Good Day

I am 8 weeks pregnant with my second child. (7 years gap) I am 31 now and had my first when I was 24.
I had the Downs test done the first time and it was very low risk and my daughter was fine and no Downs.
Now the doc is asking me if i want to test again. I am not sure if i should.
Can you tell me perhaps if there is any risk seeing as though my first child is fine and the second child has the same father.

Thank you
Annie

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

There is always a risk. The test just gives you an idea of how big the risk is and you can then decide if it is necessary for an amniocentesis.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

5
Our users say:
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-10-31

There is always a risk. The test just gives you an idea of how big the risk is and you can then decide if it is necessary for an amniocentesis.

Best wishes

Reply to gynaedoc
Posted by: Annie | 2011-10-27

Hi

Thanks for the input.
@ meme...I know that its the normal thing to ask that question and to be very honest, if i had all test done and knew for 100% certain that my child was going to have Downs, I would not keep him/her.
I know this is a very debatable answer and some might think that i am the worst person to walk this planet but that is my choice not to have a child that wont be able to lead a normal life of their own.
So therefore, i am definitely wanting to do the tests.
I have an appointment at about 12 weeks so i will discuss all options with my gynae then.
Thank you again for your valuable replies.

Annie

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Zama | 2011-10-26

Hi Annie

First do the Neuchal Translucency test and see what comes up. This is just a scan that checks the thickness of the back of baby''s neck at about 12/13 weeks. If all is clear there. There should be no need to do the additional test. MEME has a valid point. I have also heard of stories where these tests have not been correct and women have been stressed only to be told later that baby is fine. I know one such lady.

Think about it. All the best.

Reply to Zama
Posted by: MEME | 2011-10-26

well perhaps ask yourself this. if your baby did have downs would you keep it?? if you would then i see no need in testing!

Reply to MEME
Posted by: Annie | 2011-10-26

Also, I only had a Blood Test the first time around. Could you tell me exactly what tests are done now and if they differ as I have been told the test could cost me R1200-R1700 and this by far more expensive than the Blood Test i had 7 years ago.
So not sure if there is more to the test that the Doc mentioned and i didnt actually ask her to explain the test to me.

Thanks

Reply to Annie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement