Question
Posted by: Rose | 2010/07/16

Downs Syndrome

I posted earlier when my daughter (32) at 12 weeks after IVF showed a one in ninety risk for Downs Syndrome. She had a subsequent Level 2 scan four weeks later which showed up no soft markers and made her almost 17.5 weeks pregnant so she was now nearly two weeks more pregnant than she thought. On this day they took more blood tests for the quad testing which all came back negative except again for the Downs which had weakened to 1 in 212. I think the cut off is 1 in 270 so she is still at risk. Is this second figure as accurate as the first. She is now going to a fetal maternal specialist next Friday for a detailed 4D scan. What sort ol anomolies could this show and is it more accurate than a 2D scan. Does he do both a 4D and a 2D? If she was your patient and her risk had gone from 1 in 90 to1 in 212 and her scans all showed no markers, would you advise on an amnio. Thank you

In the end the only person who can decide is your daughter, based on how important it is for her to be sure whether the baby has Down's or not. Both these values are still in the high risk category.The 4D scan is unlikely to influence things much.

1