Question
Posted by: Rose | 2010-06-23

Downs Syndrome

My daughter (32) is 14 weeks pregnant after IVF. At her 12 week scan her NT was 1.3 and the nasal bone was present. Her bollds were sent for Downs testing and have come back with a devastating 1 in 90 possibility of Downs. Her fertility specialist want her to have another scan at 16 weeks, plus another blood test and then a 4D scan two weeks later. What are the chances that the second round of tests can improve the prognosis? Is 1 in 90 an almost inevitable Downs baby. She has trued so long for this baby. I do not know how she is going to get through this, especially the next month of waiting.

A 1 in 90 risk is just that. 1 baby in 90 would have Down syndrome. 89 out of the 90 would be normal. I don't think that the other tests will influence the risk much.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-06-27

Posted by: Dee | 2010-06-23

No, 1 in 90 chance is exactly that, it is not inevitable. Please remember that your daughter did IVF and that skews the Downs result. The bloods (I feel) are inaccurate due to the fact that IVF was done. You can google the inaccuracy of this test when IVF has been done. Im sure the FS just wants to make sure everything is OK and Im sure everything is infact OK.

Reply to Dee