Question
Posted by: Louisa | 2010/05/19

Down Syndrome Testing

Hi doc.

I am going to the gynae next week, will then be 17 weeks pregnant. Do you advise that we should do a down syndrome test? We just want to know if our little one is okay. I am 25 years old, this will be our first baby.

Also I need to know whether you have any advise what I must do before going to the scan to help determine the sex of our baby. Some say I should go with a full bladder, others say that I should eat a Bar one and drink coke.

It is up to you to decide on the Down's testing. It would depend on whether or not you want to know beforehand if the baby has a problem.
Seeing the sex depends on the position of the baby. You cannnot do anything about this.

4

Posted by: Racoon | 2010/05/19

I''m expecting our third son (22 weeks), and my experience is that the only worthwhile DS screen is the one done at 12 weeks, ie the nuchal translucency with PAPP-A and free b-hCG. The second trimester screening is VERY inaccurate and causes more distress than anything else. Best option left for you, in my opinion, is the 22 weeks detail scan which can identify some risk factors for DS and other possible problems. But the only definate 100% diagnosis for DS is through an amniocenthesis. At 17 weeks the risk for amnio complication is very low, but the decision up to you an hubby only. With my first pregnancy my gynae did not recommend the first trimester screen, and I am still upset with him for that. The second trimester screen came up borderline high risk, which made us choose for an amnio, probably unnecessarily! Thank Our Lord the test came back negative. Second pregnancy we went for the first trimester screen and it came back very low risk, same for this pregnancy. But, you can rest assured that the risk for DS is very low anyhow.

Found out the gender of our babies at 13and 16 weeks, so if the little person is willing to show you, you''ll definately be able to see by now! Give him/her a good pep-talk before the scan! oh, and nartjies or oranges work better that Coke or BarOne. Hope you have a super scan!!

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: Zama | 2010/05/19

Louisa, there is also a blood test that my doc had me do also for Down Syndrome. It tells you the chance s(in percentage) of you having a baby with Down Syndrome. There is however a cut-off period within which this test must be done. I''ve forgotten...but of course gynae doc will know.

Reply to Zama
Posted by: T | 2010/05/19

The down syndrome scan is done at 12 weeks as that is the only time the fold in the neck is open. Dont think you will be able to tell the sex of the baby yet - you might though. I drank a coke when i went for my scan and baby was moving around nicely, not too much though, so you could see if you wanted to, but the cord was lying between our baby''s legs. Still is. Good luck!

Reply to T