Posted by: LIEZLE | 2009-05-13

down syndrome - please help

please help me. I am currently almost 14 weeks pregnant and my gynae did the 12 week 1st screening. when my blood test results came back it stated that my biochemistry risk is 1:86. i am only 26 years old. the detection rate is 60%? should I be worried a lot? i am doing the amniocentises on friday... what exactly does this results mean. my gynea did not explain...

It means that there is a risk of Down syndrome which is higher than the average for your age. The only way to have a definite result is with the amniocentesis.

Posted by: Dee | 2009-05-13

You have a 1 in 86 chance that your baby has down syndrome but for someone your age it should be around 1 in 10 000 which is why he is sending you for the amnio. I wouldnt worry too much because as you say the detection rate is 60% which is low. The amnio will give clearer results.

Reply to Dee