Question
Posted by: Bokkie | 2009-05-28

Down in the dumps

Hey doc!

I feel really down. I am only 22 and in 2 years time I have gained a huge 13kg. I haven' t changed my eating habits and used to be slim my whole life. I have read up on thyroid dysfunction, and I agree that I do have the symptoms, but I' ve had my thyroid tested and it came out normal. I have previously been on the pill, then the injection and then the pill again, but I haven' t been on any contraceptive since November, but it has made no diference, in fact, I' ve just gained even more weight.

I weigh 68kg now, and I' m 1.65m in length, so I know that according to my BMI I' m bordering on being overweight.

Please help. Are there any other hormone test that I could do? And do I need to go to a dr for it?

Thanks alot!

Dear Bokkie
Your BMI = 25 which as you say is just bordering on the overweight range. There are many factors that could have caused your weight gain: insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) combined with insulin resistance could be responsible. You would need to consult a gynaecologist or physician who will arrange the necessary blood tests to determine if you are suffering from insulin resistance and/or PCOS. The contraceptives your used may also have contributed to weight gain. Then there is the effect of depression - some patients gain a great deal of weight when they are suffering from depression. If this should be the case, then please consult a clinical psychologist to help you overcome the depression. If you should have insulin resistance then you would need to use a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet to counteract the condition. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Insulin resistance and depression react well to daily aerobic exercise such as going for brisk walks, so start exercising as soon as possible as this could help a great deal.
I hope you can pinpoint what has caused your weight gain and that you can turn it around.