Question

dowager' s hump?

I am a little concerned as I am not yet 60 and I seem to be developing a dowager' s hump. I have some arthritis in my neck which has narrowed the nerve openings from my spine and this causes periodic arm pain and numbness and spasms. The hump, at the bottom of my cervical spine, feels a bit thickened to me and aches quite often. It' s also stiff in that area. I find I have to actually concentrate these days to keep my back straight. The natural position seem to be rounded and hunched. Apart from keeping on trying to straighten up, should I perhaps get a back brace of some sort? I have been taking Calcium and magnesium by naturefresh for 10 years.

Dear Anonymous
The dowagers hump develops due to compression fractures of the vertebrae when you have osteoporosis - so you need a bone density test. Ask your GP or Gyne to organize this for you as well as x/rays of the upper spine to see if there are any signs of compression fractures.