Question
Posted by: AH | 2010/06/15

Double chin &  wrinkled neck - URGENT HELP

I feel so depress, saw on photo''s how bad my neck &  double chin looks, is there anything on the market like cream, laser treatment etc I can use to make it a bit better, I''m aware that without surgery it won''t go away completely.

And how much will a neck-lift cost? just an average price will be great.

AH

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi AH, thank you for the question.

Generally speaking one can achieve fairly good skin tightening for the neck area with fractional skin resurfacing (Fraxel, UltraPulse FX, Syneron Matrix RF, Palomar Starlux, etc.).

The degree of tightening is dependent on the age of the skin and the degree of sun damage and the number of sessions performed (depending on the technology expect between 3 to 6 sessions 4 to 6 weeks apart).

It is vital to add a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and I would also consider adding alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E to your daily topical regime.

A double chin is typically caused by excess fat accumulation but this area would need to be examined by a plastic surgeon to exclude other possible causes such as lax skin and lax platysmal bands.
If there is only fat and skin laxity one may consider laser lipolysis (LipoLite, Smartlipo, & SlimLipo, to name a few) as the laser will liquefy the fat and cause skin tightening which in certain patients is comparable to surgical like results. Even though the procedure is performed using a local anesthetic infiltration only it is still an invasive procedure, as the laser fiber needs to sit in the fatty layer, but there is minimal downtime and recovery is much faster than surgery.

Prices vary from doctor to doctor but expect to pay from R 15,000.00 to R 20,000.00 as the procedure needs to be performed in a sterile theater setting.
As a rough estimate a surgical neck lift will start from R 35,000.00.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/06/16

Hi AH, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert