Posted by: Angie | 2011-03-24

Double chin

Hi doc

What can one do to tone a double chin. I am a little bit overweight but not that much. I already do exercises and eat according to low GI.

Is there any hope for us? Or is it in the genes.

Hi Angie

So the bad news is that you can't spot reduce, no matter where the location. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise.

So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.