Posted by: SB | 2012-05-24

Dosage and success rates on clomid

hi there

My gynae has given me clomid as I am not sure if I am ovulating as the predictor tests never seem to show that I am. I have a feeling that I do not ovulate around day 14 and ovulate late, closer to my period. He has given me the 50mg but has put dosage at half a tablet (25mg) per day... surely I should stick with the 50mg that I have seen is the dosage? He only gave me one month supply.

I used one cycle of clomid about a year ago with no success. Surely I should have it for 3 months to give it time to start working in my system?

How successful is the use of clomid in conception?

Dear SB

It is extremely important that when using Clomid you monitor ovulation and if ovulation predictor tests fail to confirm ovulation then ultrasound scanning is extremely valuable in monitoring or tracking follicular growth and predicting ovulation. In some instances the use of 25mg of Clomid is more advantageous than the traditional 50mg as there is less negative effect on the endometrium [lining of the womb] which is better for implantation. However this still dose should still be combined with ultrasound follicular monitoring to monitor the effect of the Clomid. The use of Clomid consecutive cycles, back to back, should be discouraged if no medical supervision accompanies this type of treatment plan as there is some possibility of developing large complicated ovarian cysts which in some cases may require emergency surgery.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim