Question
Posted by: star | 2009/08/05

dormicon tablets

A friend is asking me to get him these tablets and just a bit worried that he might want to do something wrong with them. Should i worry, how do people abuse these tablets and what are they for initialy?

Your response would be appreciated

Expert ImageSleep Expert

They are sleeping tablets. However, no sleeping tablet was designed to be used every night - they lose their effect, but can then cause sleeplessness when they are stopped.
The problem is the day-time drowsiness the next day - that can cause sleepiness behind the wheel. They can also affect the memory.
You should not be giving anyone this kind of medication - he needs to see a doctor.

2
Posted by: annne | 2014/03/22

I TAKE UP TO SOMETIMES 20 A DAY, AND IT HAS NO SLEEPING EFFECT ON ,ME. I WAST TO GET OFF THIS DESPERETALY. I HAVE HEARD HAT USING SOMETHING MILDER LIKE STILLNOX IS THE ANSWER WITH CUTTING DOWN ON THIS TOO. MY DOC SAID RIVOTROL WILL HELP WITH THE CRAVINGS FOR DORMCUM. IS THIS CORRECT AND HOW DO CUT DOWN ON DORMICUM? DO I JUST STOP IT AND WITHDRAW BADLY? PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS SEVERE LIFE-THREATINING MEDICATION. REGADS ANNA

Reply to annne
Posted by: exDormicum User | 2009/08/27

Dormicum (Midazolam) is an extremely potent short acting hypnotic. It is one of the few benzodiazepines that is water soluble and is therefore suitable for injection. It is used as a general anaesthetic because of this, it is not suitable to be used as a sleeping tablet unless under extreme circumstances.

I was given it while undergoing radiation and chemotherapy and later after a severe car accident where I suffered many shattered bones and had to relearn to walk over a few months. It is very short acting and people need to redose several times to go back to sleep. Because it is suitable for injection it is highly sought after to be abused in this way for the intense rush it produces, this drug is rarely prescribed in countries such as the US. It is also one of the few benzos that can be insufflated (snorted) because of it' s solubility in water but this is generally not the primary method of abuse. Even if taken orally, it can and is abused.

The overdose potential, if used by itself is low, however if any other hypnotic or sedative / depressant type drugs (eg. Alcohol, pain killers, Barbiturates) are added to the mix, death can occur rapidly either by accident or intentionally. It is related to such infamous drugs as Rohypnol (date rape drug - roofies or roshies) and Dalmane (used by serial killer Dorothea Puente to help kill her victims).

Long term use will cause seizures upon discontinuation and extreme withdrawals. Benzo w/d can be fatal and heroin w/d has been described as a walk in the park in comparison. Because Midazolam has a very short half life, dependence can build extremely quickly and that, with increased tolerance and finishing scripts too quickly, can = seizures. Fatalities from benzo withdrawal are rare which sounds reassuring until you realize fatalities from heroin/opiate withdrawal is practically unheard of.

There are far more suitable drugs available and unless he has extreme problems with initially falling asleep (such as pain related insomnia), he should be using something like Stilnox (Zolpidem) or even better, Zopiclone which even has less addiction potential. Something better still would be Trazadone (Mollipaxin) or Seroquel for someone who has an abuse record but none should be given to suicidal people and these 2 chemicals come with a host of problems of their own. I have struggled with insomnia my entire life and I prefer to stay away from everything unless extreme cases dictate it.

If he is prone to substance abuse I would speculate he is needing a short acting powerful hypnotic to knock himself out after a stimulant abuse session (cocaine, tik, crack, cat).

Reply to exDormicum User