Posted by: Stan | 2009-07-06

Doc, I would like to know whether I am functioning normally when I sometimes experience another side of myself, operating behind my own self. No sure if you understand what I mean, but say I get really angry, totally boozed up or feel severe pressure, then this other ' me'  will come to the fore. Mean, angry and dark in feeling, I will sometimes behave is such an egoistic manner, almost with evil intent. I don' t want to sound as though I am trying to deflect from my own shortcomings, but I really feel that those actions are not a part of me, and yet when I lose control, this other guy comes out. If I am not just another lost soul and there is a reason for this feeling, could you refer me to some literature on the subject? Best regards, Confused.

Fortunately, I don't think this is a Doppelganger ! Alcohol, and to a lesser extent anger and stres, may help to "release" some of the darker aspects of yourself, for eaasier access, lowering your degree of exercised control over this. Because such behaviour doesn't match your own expectations of yourself, your own self-image, you view them as alien, and would rather find some way to view them as "not me". But it is you, just an unattractive aspect of you ( something we all have ). Seing a good shrink would help to explore this further, and especially with a CBT-oriented shrink, could help you understand how to avoid whatever triggers these episodes, and how to take fruitful charge of these aspects, while improving them, rather than feeling helpless about their occasional emergence.