Question
Posted by: al | 2011/03/11

dooie sperm

My man het 5 jaar terug ''n vasectomy gehad. Ons is na die tyd getroud en hy het die proses laat omkeer. hy het 3 kinders uit vorige verhouding. Aan die begin was sy sperm telling okay en beweegklikheid ook okay, maar nog nie genoeg om normaal swanger te word. verlede jaar het sy telling drasties afgeneem. ons het die fertiliteits behandelings begin en die dokters het dinsdag by my geoes. Toe hulle sy bydrae kry was daar geen lewende sperm. Dit was skok vir almal. Is daar n moontlikheid dat dit ooit sal regkom? Ons is geskok oor die hele proses.

Dear Al

The risk of antibody damage to the sperm after vasectomy reversal is a problem which I have mentioned on several occasions and this may be typically the problem in this situation. However it is sometimes feasible to use immotile sperm which may not necessarily be dead by just immobilized and these sperm may be able to fertilize the egg and produce healthy embryos. Therefore although the sperm may appear to be dead, they could have still been viable in terms of the DNA content and should be used in the ICSI process. However if the sperm were truly dead then I would suggest that the testis biopsy should have been done and some viable sperm could have been obtained in this manner which may well have been used for fertilizing the eggs through ICSI. If you are considering another treatment then it would be advisable for your husband to go onto some form of fertility stimulation treatment as well under the supervision of a fertility specialist or urologist to improve sperm production and I would still recommend at the stage of egg retrieval or prior to that a testis biopsy be done to obtain more healthier sperm and avoid similar problem.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/03/17

Dear Al

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert