Question
Posted by: frustrated | 2010/09/15

Don''t want to

Hi there Dietdoc

I REALLY don''t want to go and see a dietician to sort a meal plan for me. I''ve been told by a psychologist (eating disorders) to get an eating plan. I am DREADING it.

what does the first consultation with a dietician involve? will she ask me a bite by bite low down on what i eat? i DONT want to change my eating habits. i''m doing this to make the psychologist and people around me happy.

i''m very anxious

:(

Dear Frustrated
Generally speaking a dietitian will weigh you and measure your height and she may do some other small measurements (e.g. skin fold thickness) to determine if you are underweight, normal weight or overweight. The dietitian may ask you what types of food you eat, if you have certain preferences and if you have any food allergies or sensitivities. I don't think she will ask you for a bite by bite description of you daily food intake. The dietitian will then propose a diet plan for you. If you suffer from an eating disorder like anorexia she will probably suggest that you gradually increase your intake of healthy foods to ensure that you are eating a well balanced diet which does not cause deficiencies. Eating disorders need a team approach involving a psychologist and a dietitian so that both aspects of your problem can be addressed. Remember that you are the one who is in danger of ruining your health for the rest of your life, if you don't get professional help. The fact that you have consented to consult a clinical psychologist is the first step towards a solution. Take the second step by seeing a dietitian for your own happiness and good health.
Be brave and give it a try

1

Dear Frustrated
Be brave and give it a try