Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/06/22

don''t remember conversations??

hi
I am a bit freaked out right now. is it possible to not remeber conversations you had with people? they will say but i told you and we discussed it and i can''t remember anything, then i ask them when it was and they will tell me when, where we were, what we were doing and they say i even asked questions and was part of discussion. And I can''t even remember the conversation taking place at all. I do sometimes daydream, but this is not the same. I listen to people when they talk. I am not a self-absorbed person. Should I be worried? or just let it go? It has happened 3 times in last couple of weeks.

here are so many possibilities here, anon ! There are so many causes of memory disturbance, medical / physical and psychological. And a common cause is not so much losing the ability to recall what was said, but not actually placing it into memory at the time - because it was boring, or irrelevant so you didn't pay full attention, or you were distracted by stress and anxiety, with the same effect. Medication can impair our ability to place material into memory, or to recall it, or both. Goodness, sometimes people even claim to have had conversations that never actually took place, because it's there memory that is faulty, or they're trying to get away with simulating agreements never actually reached.
If this persists, and seems to apply to more than these paticular kind of onversations ( forgetting more than usual where you left your keys, and so on ) then to see your doc for a check-up and assessment

2
Posted by: Lin | 2010/06/22

Are you under alot of stress at the moment? On any medication? Do you perhaps have a degree of Depression?
All of the above might cause a degree of memory loss. It may be a good idea to see your gp.

Reply to Lin