Question
Posted by: Jamie | 2011/12/13

don''t know where to turn

Please could you give me some advice, as I am now at my wits end?

I am being treated by an excellent psychiatrist, for a panic disorder and depression, he recently put me on Rivotil which seemed great the first week, but then all my anxieties came back, and on top of all this I am planning on falling pregnant as soon as possible, and from what I read I believe that this medication will result in birth defects of a baby?

What else can I do here, do I get a second opinion, I have been for CBT counseling which helped but I think I need more and it is near impossible to get an appointment with my psychologist and feel as if they are avoiding me.

Just an example of something that happened tonight I had bought Christmas wrapping and was wrapping gifts when I thought (for no reason) “ Oh dear I see I bought too much wrapping paper ,well that Okay my husband can use it next year once I am dead”  I then completely freaked out totally thinking this is a subconscious understanding that I am going to die next year before Xmas… ..now I don’ t know if this is the depression coming through ,or the anxiety or maybe I do subconsciously know that I am going to die next year.

Another thing that happens to me is that I will be driving along calmly or sitting at my desk and all of a sudden I get that feeling like I am about to fall off something, I grab hold of my desk or when driving I quietly start fidgeting with something to get myself stable. But this sensation is most distressing, is it normal???

I am terrible afraid of dying and often feel as if I am in a dream and someone will wake me up and things can be real again like when I was a child.
I live in agony ,and I am only 31 years old I am going to be like this forever, are my physical symptoms such as the dizziness and heart palpitation and derealization ever ever going to go away.

Sorry for the long post but I could really use some help, please

Well, firstly, J, if you are currently suffering from serious depression and panic disorder, this is NOT a good time to be planning to fall pregnant - can't you postpone that until your psych problems are under control ? And make sure your psychiatrist knows about your pregnancy plans, so once the condition is under control, he can select medications with this in mind.
You probably do also need more CBT and discussion with your psychologist - and discuss with them the fact that for some reason you feel he/she may be avoiding you. I'm sure they shouldn't be feling like that, but the fact that you feel this way is relevant.
The symptoms you describe CAN be brought under control and need not be life-long. Work with your shrinks to achieve this aim

3
Posted by: PP | 2011/12/19

Hi Jamie,
I cannot imagine how life must be like being afraid of so many things.
I think having a baby will put more pressure on you. I have a baby and I constantly worry about her. Her every move, the " what ifs"  that run through my mind all day. Now thinking about how stressing that is and your disorder, it might be too much for you for now.

Rethink this for now and I hope everything will be sorted out soon and that you will get that appointment with your psychologist very soon. It''s unfair to live like this.

Reply to PP
Posted by: Asking | 2011/12/14

This is no time 2 plan a baby!
Your husband may well be able to use excess wrapping paper if you are not planning to be around but what will he do with a baby,,,,,,,,,?especially one with defects!

Reply to Asking