Question
Posted by: Bipo-girl | 2010/03/08

Don''t know whats going on with me

Hi, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Depression 2 Years ago. I''ve been doing well on the meds, but now I''m starting to feel really really down. I''m getting married in 4 weeks, and I don''t know if that is the reason why I''m depressed - because of the stress and stuff that comes with planning a wedding. I am feeling absolutely useless, I don''t feel like doing anything except lying in front of the TV or sleeping coz I''m so tired all the time. And I eat eat eat. I went on a diet last year this time, lost weight and looked fantastic. Now I''ve gained all that and I practically live to eat. I don''t know what to do and I''m scared. I don''t want to be fat, I want my body back. I want my life back.

Now, the period leading up to a marriage can be very stressful, especially for some of us, and may have temprarily upset the bl;ance of your Bipolar Control. YOu really should see the shrink who you opught to be visiting from time to time to keep your bipolar disorder under smoother control, who will also be able to advise on how best currently to control your anxietuy levels and eating ( and try to have only boring, filling, and non-fatening snacks aroun d the houjse ! )
Do not feel scared to talking to your psychiatrist about this, as he/she will be understanding and will be pleased you did so. You are NOIT a hypochonriac and NOT being stupid a sensible person with any chronic condition keeps an eye open for relevant changes, and works with her shrink to bring things back under control.

6
Posted by: Another Bi-Polar Candidate | 2010/03/08

You will never be alone here...! What you''re going through is absolutely normal, especially with something as big as a Wedding. If you were at an absolute high right now, I guess you would never have posted...unfortunately you have hit the downhill, and need to do what CS has suggested...asap! Try and uplift yourself...arrange ''timeout''sessions - treat yourself to something nice and special, force yourself out of the house and avoid negative situations. Maybe confide in your close friend/friends and get them to help lift you out of this(get them to do some of the stressful chores around your arrangements etc).
And yes, I find my meds cause me to eat like a horse...is this not what you''re experiencing? I read the side effects long ago after picking up lots of weight...bingo!!
Hope this helps.

Reply to Another Bi-Polar Candidate
Posted by: Maria | 2010/03/08

I suffer from depression and know only too well the feeling that the doc will laugh at me and tell me to snap out of it. This is a LIE that depression tells you. Don''t believe it, go and get the help that you need to get back to yourself.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Bipo-girl | 2010/03/08

I want to speak to my phsyciatrist, but I''m scared that I''m overexaggerating or being a hypochondriac...but I really feel down. I just don''t want to look stupid...

Reply to Bipo-girl
Posted by: Maria | 2010/03/08

Just wanted to add... there is no such thing as the perfect wedding. When I got married I was so stressed because of the expectations that other people lay on me about " how things should be done" . That''s nonsense, it is you and your fiance who are starting your married life that way, and your opinion matters most. Don''t sweat the small stuff. The wedding day is just one day in a relationship that will hopefully last many years.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2010/03/08

You must speak to your psychiatrist urgently. Call and insist that he/she at the very least phone you back, or that you should get an early appointment. Good luck with the wedding arrangements, it can be stressful and push you into depression.

Reply to Maria