Question
Posted by: Angie | 2010-08-10

Don''t know what to do

I just found out that I have a bipolar disorder and i spent time in hospital for almost three weeks. I''m still waiting for my medical aid to approve my medication because I can not afford to buy it myself every month. Whilst I''m waiting I made an appointment to see my psychologist and I couldn''t because I was told that I don''t have enough funds anymore and if I do I will have to pay cash that I don''t have. So I decided that for this year I will only see the psichiatrist because I don''t have cash for both of them.

The reason why I wanted to see the psychologist is because I am always down and have suicidal thought more often than before now. I have these weird cravings for dagga and wine a lot lately and I''ve never smoked dagga before and never drank alcohol in my entire life. What can be the course for this?

I suspect that one reason why Bipolar gets diagnosed much more commonly than before, is the stupidity of Medical aids. They tend to accept Bipolar Disorder as a chronic disorder for which they will provide better coverage as regards treatment and drugs, where as absurdly, ordinary depression is treated less favourably.
Whatever the reason for the cravings you describe, do NOT indulge in dagga or alcohol, as both will worsen your mental state, whatever the diagnosis, and alcohol can stop antidepressant treatment from being effective.
Discuss your suicidal concerns with the psychiatrist, who needs to know this and to take it into account. Explore other resources like the Depression/Anxiety Support Group, too.
Ignore comments from anyone other than a qualified shrink as to what your diagnosis is, or might be - nobody else is qualified to make such a diagnosis. And do NOT stop any psych medication suddenly, without discussing it with the doc, and without working out with him a plan to gradually withdraw it, rather than stopping suddenly

7
Posted by: Ag man | 2010-08-11

Jordan,learn to read she said she has never drank alcohol in her life, so why are u on about the last drink she had? Read read.

Reply to Ag man
Posted by: Woman | 2010-08-10

It takes years to correctly diagnose bipolar. I would be *very* wary of a psychiatrist who diagnoses you in 1 or 2 sessions. Get a second opinion for sure.

You might be craving the relaxation more than the drugs. Try yoga first!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Jordan | 2010-08-10

Are you drinking at the moment? Not right now, I mean the last few days, or however long. How long?

Reply to Jordan
Posted by: Angie | 2010-08-10

Thanks Jordan for your opinion.

Doctor how do I respond to these comments that says " stop that medication because you not bipolar"  or ''no you not bipoar these doctors are making money out of you" ?????? Do I stop my medication before consulting my doctor? Do I listen to people or listen to my doctor tells me?

Reply to Angie
Posted by: Jordan | 2010-08-10

Sorry, but I wouldn''t buy the bi-polar story. Every second person is bi-polar and they told me that I had it. What I did was to stop the wine. And I feel so much better.

Reply to Jordan
Posted by: Jordan | 2010-08-10

Don''t you think that the dagga and wine could be the reason for the depression. I see you say you didn''t drank before, so have you started to now? If yes, then stop. Wine is a terrible depressant.

Reply to Jordan