Posted by: Lebo | 2010-08-02

Dont know what to do.

I have a 3yr old daughter who has cronic ear infections. She has had grommets inserted in May. Two weeks after the op, pus started coming out. She has been on antibiotics, ear drops. Its gets better, but after a while it starts again. At the moment only one ear is infected. I seriuosly dont know aht to do. I dont want to go back to the doctor, as she is going to be gievn the same medication again and my medical aid is getting exhausted. Changing a specialist wont hep me.

What can I do at home to help her. I clean her ears everyday with a cotton bud but I dont get far enough to the pus out so I can used ear drops. What else can i use to clean her ears, so the drops can work. Please help me, please!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lebo

It is possible that the bacterial infection is resistant to the current antibiotic drops. I suggest a pus swab be taken from the ear canal to culture the bacteria, as you may need to change the current drops. By cleaning the ear properly (not using an earbud) you should be able to clean up to the tympanic membrane without causing discomfort or trauma to you daughter. In cases of poor response, one may have to either do a proper eartoilette under anaesthetic, or be able to instill an ointment into the ear canal. I think you will have to consult an ENT on these options, as none of these procedures can be performed if you have not been instructed clearly how to do them.