dont know what to do

i have had the following symptoms on and off for a year now - the clinic sister said i have low blood sugar and must follow a low GI diet which i am dong (there is a lot of diabetes in the female side of my family - i am a 42 yr old female)

today i had a very bad attack:
sweating (my neck and hair was wet)
my mouth felt so dry
feeling very shaky and a bit disorientated

afterwards i had a terrible headache

i feel like i dont know what to do - i have been told just to control this with diet but have attacks like this once a week

what do you suggest

Dear Anonymous
Please ask your doctor to do a fasting blood sugar, fasting insulin levels and if abnormal, they may need to do a test where they give you some sugar water to drink every few minutes to see how your insulin reacts to this. You may have too much insulin being produced when your body senses that there are food being taken up in your blood stream