Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/06/09

Donor Eggs?

Dear Doc. I am 39 yrs old. If I would like to do IVF using donar eggs, how does it work? What would the success rate be verses using my own eggs? My fertility specialist is Dr Hansen from Saint Augustines hospital in durban. Would he have access to eggs or do i have to go somewhere else? Would the donor and myself have to both go through the IVF cycle? How would the cost work. Would i have to pay for 2 IVFs and the eggs as well? Thanking you kindly.

Dear Sam

When donor eggs are used in a IVF cycle the donor is usually a young female and therefore the success rate would be approximately around 40-45% in achieving a pregnancy. Therefore it would much higher when compared to somebody at the age of 39. The way a donor oocyte cycle works is that a young female, who is going to be the donor, is synchronized with the recipient. The donor is then given medication to hyperstimulate the ovaries and then once the oocytes are mature the oocytes are then removed from the donor and inseminated with the recipient’s husband’s sperms. Once an embryo has been obtained the embryo is then transferred into the recipient. I suggest that you discuss this with your fertility specialist and he would be in a better position to find out if he has any donors available or there are also donor agencies available in South Africa. The cost would certainly be higher than a normal IVF cycle and the costs would differ from clinic to clinic, I would suggest you see your fertility specialists to discuss the way forward.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/06/18

Dear Sam

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Sam | 2010/06/12

Thanks very much Sam! Should the donor be my sister, would we have to go for blood tests to check compatability to anything like that do you know?

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Dee | 2010/06/11

You need to decided either anon or known donor. Anon you have to go thru an agency such as Nurture and pay agency fees. Dr Hansen will be able to guide you and Im sure you can stay with him for the cycle. You both go through the cycle at the same time, she takes the meds to grow the eggs and you take meds to grow your lining. You pay for 1 IVF and a little extra for your meds. But it is expensive as the donor gets paid R5000 and agency fees are R15000 and then you still have to pay for the IVF. You get all the eggs unless you opt to do a shared cycle which can be cheaper but you get less eggs to work with. If you have a known donor then you dont pay the agency fees. Like a sister or aunt?
Good luck.

Reply to Dee