Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2010/04/08

DONOR AREA IN HIP

I had several neck fusions over the last few years and had bone removed from both my hips for these. Last year Feb I had the last neck op and the bone was removed from my right hip. 6 months later I developed a hematoma which I believe usually occurs soon after surgery. I have had persistant pain in this hip after the hematoma was surgically removed and had infiltration done in Dec which did not seem to help either. I was operated on my hip again 3 weeks ago and am in immense pain all the time. The doctor said that he filled up my hip and also put an artificail ligament into my hip. I keep getting the sensation of boiling water being poured over my leg. What could the cause of this be? Before I was discharged i had a sonar sone which showed that I did have a hematoma then too but this was not treated. Could it be the same story that this could be the cause of my pain?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

a heamatoma of the pelvis some time after the bone graft was taken can be from a stress fracture of the bone where the bone was thinned out due to the harvesting of the bone. Such severe continuing pain could also be nerve pain due to damage of one of the nerves in the area.
An examination by a professional, the correct X-rays and so on should give the answer

dr de Beer

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/04/10

dr de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum