Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2011-11-17

donating blood

I have always tended to have low blood pressure as well as low blood sugar. I donated for quite some time, then started to feel very bad every time I went so I stopped and a year or two ago I started to donate again. I read that if you had some juice and a snack WHILE you donate it will keep your blood sugar up and it worked very well until yesterday. Everything went fine until about an hour after I donated when I couldn''t even walk two steps in fear of fainting and sweated something terrible, I felt horrible. I had to go home and took a lot of fluids and rested but today I am still not feeling great. Its better than yesterday but I feel weak and not myself. I''ve been dieting and lost about 8 kg in the last 4 months could it have anything to do with that? (I read that you have about 70ml blood for every kg you weigh) And what should I eat or drink to speed up the recovery process? I couldn''t really see my bp yesterday although I thought it was 100/80 (which is normal for me). Any advice would be welcome!

Kelly

Your weight loss can have an effect on how soon you recover after donating blood. If you do donate blood, make sure that an Hb blood tests is done, in order to exclude anemia. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for low blood pressure but you can try Rehidrate when feeling severely faint or before donating blood. Eat small regular meals and especially meals containing natural iron, like broccoli, liver, spinach, turkey etc.