Posted by: Sincere | 2009-02-02

Don' t know wat to do about my depression

I am currently seeing a therapist who is trying her best to help. I am a student and I am financially dependent on a gaurdian. He feels that me going to a therapist or considering antidepressants is my way of taking the easy way out. He doesn' t understand why I get depressed or why I can' t prevent it. Both my parents suffered from depression and my mom had a chemical imbalance. I hate having this, it ruins my life. For no reason it just happens. For the last year it has been the worst. Therapy doesn' t seem to be helping, but my gaurdian would look down on me taking medication. What do I do???

If he feels that ANY treatment for Depression is "the easy way out" he's obvious ignorant and hasn't yet been Depressed. Discuss this with your therapist. And if BOTh parents suffered from depression, then there was a high risk that you would inherit a similar chemical imbalance and become Depressed, too. It is NEVER your fault that you become depressed. IF therapy isn't helping, discuss this with your therapist. Currently, any therapy for Depression other than CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ) is probably a waste of time, and it is CBT she should be arranging for you. Analytic style counselling is worse than useless.