Question
Posted by: Nic | 2008/09/04

DOMS

Is it a bad thing when your muscles are sore the day after your first exercise in a long time.Will it effect your results when you train before the pain is gone. Can muscle pain be prevented by conditioning or is it inevetable. I know some trainers like it when their clients'  muscles are sore. Doesn' t it complicate your routine.

And can you give me examples of rugby spesific exercises. I have heard alot about this but don' t really understand what it is.

Thanx

Hi Nic

No, not at all. This is a typical symptom of doing exercise for the first time after a long layoff. It doesn't happen once you're fit, because the DOMS is a symptom brought on by damage to the muscle which only happens when those muscles are used more than they are accustomed to. So Comrades runners get DOMS, because no matter how they train, their legs are not used to running 90km. Similarly, if you haven't played squash for many months, you will hurt after squash, because you'd have used muscles that you normally do not.

It's probably not good to be sore all the time. If they are, then it's a sign that you are training excessively hard pretty much all the time. Apart from the fact that your muscles are sore, your body would really be taking massive strain from this kind of training programme.

So it's important to find a balance - you can't avoid some muscle soreness after the first training session. But you can definitely manage it so that it doesn't happen all the time. And with conditioning, the level fo training you can do before getting sore is much higher, so it won't happen too much.