Question
Posted by: Purple | 2011-09-26

Domperidone

I posted this question nearly two months ago and it wasn''t answered.
I''d really like to know the following:
-Can I take Motilium for milk supply if I am on Cipralex (10mg) for depression
-what dosage should I take of the Motilium?
- I have found out its schedule 2 so I can get it without a prescription.
-i have found out that domperiodone does not cross the blood brain barrier, so is a better bet for milk production than eglynol, as the espiride does cross the blood brain barrier.
-I''m already taking Fenugreek for milk production. Not sure if it is the Placebo effect or not but at 3 capsules 3 times a day it does seem to give me an increase in supply (i use less supplement), and I know there was a study by University of Cairo that showed it does work, though I don''t think any studies were every done to replicate this, so don''t know, but its not cuasing me any harm (except solving my constipation from the iron in my vitamins), but will it interact with the domperidone in any way?
-how long will it take for the domperiodone to increase my supply? (I know espiride takes 14 - 21 days).
-I want to take it as I''m back at work and although I can express lots int he early part of the week, it does get less as the week goes on so I want to improve my supply so that I can keep up the expressing.

Your help would be appreciated, I''m purchasing the Motilium today, but need to have some of these questions answered before I will start taking it.

Subject: Motilium
Posted by: Purple | 3/8/2011

I know that most women take Espiride (Eglonyl) for milk production, but I am already on Cipralex for depression and would not want to change to something which is just mildly helpful for that and takes two to three weeks to work to increase milk production. I know that demand feeding is best for increasing production, but I already do that. My problem is that I''''ve had a breast reduction so I have a incomplete milk supply and supplement with my own expressed milk and formula therafter if I don''''t have any expressed milk left.

I have read that Domperidone (Motilium) is better for milk production as it is less harmful for baby, however, I just want to know a bit more about it first. The only thing I know about it is that it is a gastric drug with milk production as a side effect.

-does one need a prescription for it?
-how long does it take before it works
-what are the side effects for baby?
-what are the side effects for baby?
-what are the side effects for mom?

My baby is a week away from being 3 months old.

Thanks so much.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi P

Domperidone does indeed increase milk prodtion. However, because this medication enhances movement in the digestive tract, it may affect the absorption and action of other medications. Therefore, it is important to discuss its use with your doctor prior to attempt home-treatment.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011-09-28

Hi P

Reply to pharmacist